Brain tumor Causes And Risk Factors
Brain tumors that begin in the brain.Primary brain tumor causes originate in the brain itself or in tissues close to it such as in the brain covering membranes (meninges), cranial nerves, pituitary gland or pineal gland.Primary brain tumors begin when normal cells acquire errors (mutations) in their DNA. These mutations allow cells to grow and divide at increased rates and to continue living when healthy cells would die. The result is a mass of abnormal cell which forms a tumor.Primary brain tumor are much less common than are secondary brain tumors in which cancer begins elsewhere and spreads to the brain.
brain tumor causes:
Many different types of primary brain tumor causes exist. Each gets its name from the type of cells involved. Examples include:
- Gliomas. These brain tumor begin in the brain or spinal cord and include astrocytomas, ependymoma, glioblastomas, oligoastrocytomas and oligodendrogliomas.
- Meningiomas. A meningioma is a tumor that brain tumor causes arises from the membranes that surround your brain and spinal cord (meninges). Most meningiomas are noncancerous.
- Acoustic neuromas (schwannomas). These are benign brain tumor that develop on the nerves that control balance and hearing leading from your inner ear to your brain.
- Pituitary adenomas. These are mostly benign brain tumor causes that develop in the pituitary gland at the base of the brain. These brain tumor causes can affect the pituitary hormones with effects throughout the body.
- Medulloblastomas.These are the most common cancerous brain tumor in children. A medulloblastoma starts in the lower back part of the brain and tends to spread through the spinal fluid. These tumors are less common in adults, but they do occur.
- PNETs. Primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNETs) are rare, cancerous brain tumor causes start in embryonic (fetal) cells in the brain. They can occur anywhere in the brain.
- Germ cell tumors. germ cell may develop during childhood where the testicles or ovaries will form. But sometimes germ cell tumors move to other parts of the body, such as the brain.
- Craniopharyngiomas. These rare, noncancerous tumors start near the brain’s pituitary gland, which secretes hormones that control many body functions. As the craniopharyngioma slowly grows, it can affect the pituitary gland and other structures near the brain.
Cancer that begins elsewhere and spreads to the brainSecondary (metastatic) brain tumor causes that result from cancer that starts elsewhere in your body and then spreads (metastasizes) to your brain.Secondary brain tumor causes most often occur in people who have a history of cancer. But in rare cases of brain tumor causes, a metastatic brain tumor may be the first sign of cancer that began elsewhere in your body.Secondary brain tumor causes are far more common than are primary brain tumors.Any cancer can spread to the brain, but the most common types include:
- colon cancer
- Breast cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Lung cancer
In most people with primary brain tumors, the brain tumor cause is not clear. But doctors have identified some factors that may increase your risk of a brain tumor . Risk factors include:
- Your age. Your brain tumor risk increases as you age. Brain tumors are most common in older adults. However, a brain tumor can occur at any age. And certain types of brain tumors causes occur almost exclusively in children.
- Exposure to radiation. People who have been exposed to a type of radiation called ionizing radiation have an increased risk and brain tumor causes . Examples of ionizing radiation include radiation therapy used to treat cancer and radiation exposure caused by atomic bombs.More common forms of radiation, such as electromagnetic fields from power lines and radiofrequency radiation from cellphones and microwave ovens, have not been proved to be linked to brain tumor causes.
- Family history of brain tumors. A small portion of brain tumor causes occur in people with a family history of brain tumors or a family history of genetic syndromes that increase the risk and brain tumor causes.